- Choose the best time and place to learn
Choosing when to learn and study is very important in terms of maximizing your energy and learning more efficiently. We all have different energy levels over the course of the day, and some of us prefer to do certain activities at certain points in the day, being able to strike a balance between your energy and alertness levels while also considering the time of day is crucial when it comes to learning and studying and even doing other things, another factor that can come into play aside from time is location.
The atmosphere around you can contribute greatly to the quality of your studying and learning time.
- Taking notes
How good your notes are will determine how useful studying them later will be. A sign of good note-taking is when the notes are written or seen in such a way that you know the sequence of information that was brought up revolving around them.
Some other strategies to consider that can help you out are the following:
- If you’re in a class that’s given assigned reading, read through it before the next class. Do the same with your previous notes.
- Keep your notes from each subject together. Have notebooks for every class or topic you’re deeply exploring. This way, you avoid confusing them or mixing up information while reviewing them.
- Always write down the main points of the topic so you can get a brief but solid overview of the subject.
- Study in groups
discussing topics with other people around you is another way that you can help improve your learning. This online learning tip is a touch different from the previous tip because it’s more of a collaborative approach to understanding something.
- Avoid distraction
Sometimes, distraction comes from outside sources that are beyond our control. However, there are also several other things that are internal that can be distracting.
These are things like our cell phones or having various tabs on your computer up while you’re reading or studying something else. We don’t often think about those as distractions, but they can and will pull us away from learning. So you need to Turn off your cell phone, Close down tabs or even blocking access to certain sites during a period of time.
- Using a learning strategy that works for you
There are four methods for us to learn:
- learning through sight.
- learning through hearing.
- learning through reading and writing.
- learning through action.
We often have a mix of each one of these things. However, there is definitely one style of learning that each of us prefers over the other if we can get away with it. Knowing which type of learner you are most dominant in can help you devise strategies and techniques around your studying habits whenever possible. Of course, you can still use the other methods loosely or may have to rely on them more in certain circumstances.